Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers with Baked Zucchini Fries
Posted on June 19 2018
ThermoHeat Recipe #1:
Recipe by: Rachel Blechman, RD
To Follow her on Instagram: rblech9
Makes 4-6 burgers
1 pound ground turkey breast (93% or 99% fat free)
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
½ small red onion diced small
1 jalapeno diced
1 cup fresh spinach chopped
2-3 cloves garlic minced
¾ cup parsley diced
½ teaspoon cayenne (red pepper)
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1. Rinse, peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Place in pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Sweet potatoes are done when you can easily stick a fork through one. Drain sweet potatoes into a colander then run cold water over them for 1 minute.
2. Place sweet potatoes into a medium sized bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
3. After mashing, continue to cool sweet potatoes in refrigerator. Prepare and measure the remaining ingredients and place in a large bowl.
4. Once sweet potatoes are cooled combine all of the ingredients in the large bowl. Mix until well combined. Form in to burger patties.
5. Two options for cooking:
a) grill turkey burgers 7-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through. (note: recommend refrigerating formed patties for 20-30 minutes so patties hold together well)
b) Preheat oven to 350°F, Bake 15- 20 minutes or until burgers are cooked through, flipping the patties half way.
6. To serve, place on a bun or lettuce wrap and top with your favorite condiment and toppings
Baked Zucchini Fries
2- 3 zucchini
2 egg whites
½ cup milk of your choice
½ cup parmesan cheese
¼ cup regular breadcrumbs
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp parsley
½ tsp pepper
olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 425° Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with olive oil spray. Cut the zucchini into 2-3 inch sticks. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl then add the milk and continue to whisk until incorporated.
2. In a separate bowl, combine parmesan cheese, regular and panko breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic powder, and pepper.
3. Dip zucchini sticks into the egg mixture, then roll in breadcrumb mixture until thoroughly coated. Place zucchini on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked to your liking, flipping half way through. Serve and enjoy with favorite condiment.